We started the Couch Potato to 5K in January with a goal to run a race in June. May I say, the creator of that program is a genius. If you asked me a year ago if I would consider running a 5k, my answer would have been "never". I laughed at runners. Idiots, who actually enjoys that kind of thing? But dig me, I did it. I didn't do it on my own, and I have the utmost respect for people that can decide to do this on their own and do it. We have a good sized group of people run together and without them, I'd not be writing this little background. I ran the race on my own, but the only thing that gets me up to run at 6:00 is the fact that there are people waiting for me to meet them.
I've struggled with the running. I have a lot of problems breathing, and I had/have a lot of problems with my legs. I have very flat feet, which in turn throws the rest of my body out of alignment. I see a chiropractor weekly and we decided that I should try stabilizers in my shoes. So I had a fancy pair made just for me and lo and behold, my legs don't hurt anymore. My knees which always hurt, don't hurt near as much. Holy Moly. Now I can work on my breathing. Which I have finally figured out.
I always snickered at the thought that you should be able to have a conversation while you are running. That means you are at a good pace. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Who on Earth could have a conversation and run at the same time. Well guess what. I can!! This is the first week that I have been able to do it. My pace sits at about a 12:00 mile, which is fine. I don't care. I'm running and talking and starting to enjoy it. I get it. I have finally conquered breathing at a good pace.
Now my next task is distance. I have done two miles without stopping to walk. So now I am working on increasing that. It's a little bit at a time. And with the help of our fearless leader, we all do speedwork once a week.
So that's me in a nut shell. You can visit my other blog to see more about me.
No comments:
Post a Comment