I ran alone for the first time today,
I ran four miles in a training run for the first time,
I ran without music (which, ok, I've done that before, but not alone, so that's a first of sorts).
I walked in the two hills in the run, in miles two and three, and I am ok with that. I ran very slow ( I actually have no idea how long it took me), and I am ok with that. I felt like I may pass out when I got home, and I was kind of ok with that. I took a cold shower that didn't take, I know that because I was sweating well after I dried off, that annoyed me but made me laugh at how gross it was. I discovered that I can do anything with gum. Without gum I feel like my mouth is full of sandpaper, which is awfully distracting. So I make sure I have some gum. I learned today that anything more than four miles is going to need a replacement piece of gum. I learned that I can say some nice encouraging things to myself when I am running, I can also be pretty awful, it depends on how the run is going.
I don't time myself, I don't pace myself. I map a run, do my best, slow down as much as I need and aim to at least start and finish the run, running. If I have to walk a little, I'm ok with that. Who am I chasing? Who am I competing with? Myself. And the myself of a year ago couldn't even think about what I did today. I did something today that a year ago I would have laughed at the mere thought of doing. So I'm good. I had a great run today. I have a race next Sunday and I will not be crazy about it, I will start it running, I will finish it running and what happens in between will be fine.
No comments:
Post a Comment