Saturday, February 27, 2010

Stair Climb

So today I had a departure from running. I participated in a stair climb to benefit the American Lung Association. Holy Mother of Pearl, that was HARD. I sorely underestimated the difficulty of climbing 58 flights of stairs. But it was very much worth it. My good friend and I , who will soon be the star of a post here, went through many incarnations of game plans. We'll run a few then walk a few, we'll walk, then run then walk, we'l walk, then do by two, then run...but we'll definitely run at some point. Ummmm, no that never happened.

I started a little strong with a steady pace taking two steps at a time. By the time I hit floor 3, I was down to one step at a time. By floor 8 my chest felt like it was on fire. I rested at some point for a few seconds and I finished standing. I did not vomit, though that felt like a possibility and I can still feel the pain in my chest. It was all of ten minutes, if that. It was more challenging than anything I've done so far. It was more painful by far and very rewarding. I think it's the once event that puts you in touch with the people you are raising awareness for. Yes my lungs were burning, but it was for a short time, I'll be able to run tomorrow if I want. But people with lung disease, people with full on asthma? They end up in the hospital for breathing treatments. Or on oxygen on a daily basis. I am grateful that I was able to climb up those flights of stairs this morning, and grateful that I can breathe easy now.


If you get a chance to do a stair climb, do it! It's not a marathon, but it's a whole new challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment